Woman accused of being drunk when she crashed into New Kensington Hotel which caught fire

Police accuse a woman of being drunk when she crashed into a New Kensington hotel early Sunday morning, which set the building on fire when her car sheared a natural gas line.

Jaden Saje Price, 27, of the 2600 block of Chestnut Street, Lower Burrell, has been charged with driving under the influence, reckless endangerment and reckless driving in connection with the February 20 incident at the Quality Inn along from Tarentum Bridge Road.

She faces a preliminary hearing before District Judge Frank J. Pallone Jr. on March 24.

After the wreckage, New Kensington Fire Chief Ed Saliba Jr. told the Tribune-Review that quick action by firefighters stopped the blaze from spreading and causing a disaster.

The fire, which was reported around 2:10 a.m., was confined to the exterior corner on the west side of the building that houses the Grand Ballroom.

Firefighters were able to keep the flames from entering the ballroom, the chief said, but there was interior smoke damage in that room and in the lobby.

Price was uninjured in the wreckage and no injuries were reported at the hotel. A male passenger in Price’s car was treated at the scene for a head injury before being taken by ambulance to Allegheny Valley Hospital in Harrison.

An officer responding to the scene said Price declined to give his name and told him, “I want to go home and I want a lawyer,” the complaint states.

Price was taken into custody on suspicion of drunk driving after refusing to allow blood to be drawn to determine her blood alcohol level or the presence of narcotics in her system, the police said. police.

She was released from a cell at New Kensington Police Station into the custody of her father.

According to police, a family member at home listed on the vehicle registration identified Price as the driver.

Investigators said the passenger in Price’s car provided them with a written statement telling them that he had met Price at the hotel bar the night of the crash and that they were “both drinking heavily,” according to the complaint.

He told them they got into Price’s car to drive to her house after the bar closed, but first they stopped at his truck, which was in the hotel parking lot. , to take a crate of beer.

He told police that when they left to go home, Price was driving “recklessly and recklessly” and nearly hit a vehicle parked in the parking lot before crashing into the building.

Tony LaRussa is a staff writer for Tribune-Review. You can contact Tony at 724-772-6368, [email protected] or via Twitter .

Comments are closed.