Wyndham Hotels & Resorts starts 2022 with strong momentum
- The world’s largest hotel franchise company is poised to propel its growth trajectory across Asia-Pacific with a strong pipeline of opening and development.
- Wyndham successfully added 120 new hotels and signed 200 properties in 2021, signaling owners’ continued confidence in Wyndham. Net growth in international rooms was 4%. Wyndham China’s direct franchise business led the way with double-digit net growth in room count.
- Wyndham continues to accelerate its presence in Southeast Asia with notable developments in Thailand, Vietnam, Australasia and other strategic regional markets.
Well positioned to emerge from the pandemic stronger than ever, Wyndham Hotels and Resorts continues to expand in Asia Pacific with a number of recent hotel openings in 2021 and a strong lineup of new hotels planned later in 2022 to further strengthen its presence in the region.
In 2021, the world’s largest hotel franchise company with more than 9,000 hotels in nearly 95 countries signed 655 hotels that will add more than 82,000 rooms worldwide. It also increased its global development pipeline by 5% over the previous year, representing 1,500 hotels and over 194,000 rooms, largest pipeline in company history.
Supported by robust growth in Asia-Pacific in 2021
In Asia-Pacific, Wyndham successfully added 120 new hotels and signed 200 properties last year, its industry leadership position totaling more than 1,600 hotels in 20 regional markets.
In Greater China, Wyndham further cemented its position as one of the leading international hotel operators in the country by expanding its presence with more than 100 hotel openings, including additions in major premier cities. This includes the prominent Wyndham Garden Hangzhou Yuhanglocated in one of Hangzhou’s major science and technology hubs, and mid-range Ramada by Wyndham brands in Guangzhou and Qingdao.
Additionally, to further strengthen the presence of its new lifestyle brands in China, Wyndham opened 5 Wingate by Wyndham and Microtel by Wyndham hotels in popular travel destinations including Foshan, Guilin, Tianjin, Kunming and Huangshan. .
Wyndham continues to accelerate its presence in Southeast Asia where several Asian tourist poles are entering an endemic stage. In Thailand, completing its operating portfolio of 17 stunning hotels, the company celebrated four openings in the heart of the bustling capital under the same ownership. This includes Ramada by Wyndham Bangkok Sukhumvit 87, Ramada Plaza by Wyndham Bangkok Sukhumvit 48 which opened on 1st and 15and March 2022, and two hotels located in the heart of Bangkok’s central business district – Wyndham Bangkok Queen Convention Center and Wyndham Garden Bangkok Sukhumvit 42 open on 1st and 15and December 2021 respectively.
In Vietnam, Wyndham further expanded its presence by strengthening its portfolio of upscale hotels with the introduction of Wyndham Grand Flamingo Cat Ba. Located in a secluded destination, the world-class resort offers breathtaking views of Lan Ha Bay.
Moving south to Australasia, another important strategic market for Wyndham, the company had 4 openings across multiple brands in Wellington, Auckland, Christchurch and Hervey Bay. Making its debut in Wellington, the opening of Ramada by Wyndham Wellington marked Wyndham’s first hotel in New Zealand’s capital.
“Building on the success of 2021, Wyndham Hotels & Resorts continues to pave the way for continued growth through our strong opening and development pipeline. We will launch new brands in several strategic markets this year. in a bid to capitalize on an anticipated resumption of travel in the region, supported by strong pent-up demand as borders gradually reopen. I am extremely grateful to the wonderful team in Asia-Pacific and also around the world, without whom we will not would not be where we are. I am happy to share that our efforts and dedication have been recognized by owners in Thailand who recently opened 4 new properties. said Joon Aun Ooi, President, Asia Pacific, Wyndham Hotels & Resorts .
Strong line-up of openings planned for 2022
True to its mission, Wyndham continues to make hotel travel possible for everyone with a robust lineup of offerings to greet guests with the best experiences possible. As the region gradually eases its border restrictions, Wyndham is poised to respond to pent-up travel demand with several highly anticipated openings.
“Our continued momentum in hotel openings across Asia-Pacific not only reflects optimism about its recovery, but it also signals the long-term confidence that our partners place in Wyndham’s globally established brands. In fact, we are making great strides towards our goal of reaching 2,000 hotels in Asia-Pacific by 2025. As Asia-Pacific gradually transitions into an endemic phase, we are poised for an increase in leisure travel and intra-regional, and Wyndham will be ready to welcome guests with a range of exceptional hotels,” added Joon Aun.
Earlier this year, Wyndham launched China’s first La Quinta by Wyndham in the “City of Crafts and Folk Arts” in Weifang, Shandong Province. Located in the cradle of kites, the 200 rooms La Quinta by Wyndham Weifang South offers a plethora of offerings steeped in cultural heritage and natural beauty.
Other openings and milestones planned for later this year include:
- 8 Wyndham Gardens, spanning a range of destinations from Chengdu and Lanzhou in China to Phuket in Thailand, brings its signature “Travel with ease‘ and best-in-class equipment to more corners of the world.
- Microtel by Wyndham’s accelerated expansion, spurred by more than 10 hotels in the opening pipeline in China for this year, which will nearly triple the size of Microtel by Wyndham’s existing portfolio in China. They are strategically located in popular business and leisure destinations such as Sanya, Changsha, Weihai and Fuzhou.
The Ramada by Wyndham brand continues to show strong growth momentum. 10 Ramada by Wyndham hotels are set to open in popular and scenic travel destinations in China. This includes the recently opened Ramada by Wyndham Guilin Yangshuo Resort which is surrounded by breathtaking scenery of limestone hills.
- 7 have planned new hotel openings in Thailand, including the 190-room Wyndham Atlas Wongamat Pattaya, a newly built property slated to open in June 2022, representing the first Wyndham hotel in Pattaya. Wyndham plans to unveil 5 more new hotels in Pattaya this year.
- Continued development in Vietnam with new Wyndham-branded properties in popular leisure destinations such as Phu Quoc and Hoi An, adding to its existing hotel portfolio in Halong Bay, Nha Trang and Cam Ranh.
- The arrival of new lifestyle hotel brands in New Zealand, including Microtel by Wyndham and TRYP by Wyndham. Scheduled to open in the fourth quarter of this year, Microtel by Wyndham Wellington will mark Wyndham’s second hotel in the capital, followed by TRYP by Wyndham Wellington.
- With 28 properties in Australia, Wyndham plans to further expand its eponymous brand with its first-ever hotels in South Australia. The two new additions include Wyndham Wallaroo Shores Resorts and TRYP by Wyndham Pulteney Street Adelaide in the fourth quarter to welcome the return of domestic and international tourists and herald a new phase of growth.
In addition to offering guests a plethora of choices with its broad portfolio of brands, Wyndham will continue to invest in its award-winning Wyndham Rewards loyalty program. Globally, Wyndham Rewards now has more than 92 million registered members and the program’s overall national occupancy share has grown to nearly 1 in 2 guests.
About Wyndham Hotels & Resorts
Wyndham Hotels & Resorts (NYSE: WH) is the world’s largest hotel franchise company by number of properties, with approximately 9,000 hotels in approximately 95 countries on six continents. With its network of more than 810,000 rooms that appeal to the everyday traveler, Wyndham is a leader in the economy and midscale segments of the lodging industry. The company operates a portfolio of 22 hotel brands, including Super 8®, Days Inn®, Ramada®, Microtel®, La Quinta®, Baymont®, Wingate®, AmericInn®, Hawthorn Suites®, Trademark Collection® and Wyndham®. Wyndham Hotels & Resorts is also a leading provider of hotel management services. The company’s award-winning Wyndham Rewards loyalty program offers more than 92 million registered members the ability to redeem points at thousands of hotels, resorts and vacation rentals worldwide. For more information, visit www.wyndhamhotels.com.